RHIhub is excited to be co-hosting a Twitter chat with NOSORH for National Rural Health Day on Access to Healthcare in Rural Communities on November 15, 2018 at 12 pm Eastern. Please join us on Twitter for this important discussion. Also, watch RHIhub’s social media feeds for our countdown to National Rural Health Day, featuring successful rural programs around the country.
What’s New on RHIhub?
The RHIhub updated its topic guide on Rural Health Clinics (RHCs), which provides an overview of RHCs and includes information on certification, considerations for becoming an RHC, staffing requirements, reimbursement, resources related to maintaining the primary care workforce, and more.
Two new articles have been published in the Rural Monitor:
- Domestic and Intimate Partner Violence: Some Do’s and Don’ts for Health Providers – Every year, domestic violence impacts 12 million people in the United States. A surgeon, an advanced practice provider, and a quality director share insights into rural domestic violence, with an additional look at elder abuse. This in-depth story also highlights solutions working for Alaska Native people.
- Community-based Palliative Care: Scaling Access for Rural Populations – Experts and advocates share the importance of scaling palliative care, described by some as “the heart of healthcare,” to rural populations.
RHIhub recently held two webinars. If you missed them, check out the recordings online:
- Rural Insights on Adult and Youth Obesity, a National and Community-based Perspective
- National Advisory Committee on Rural Health and Human Services’ Policy Brief on Exploring the Rural Context for Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs)
New in Models and Innovations:
- Brazos Valley Care Coordination Program – Brazos Valley Care Coordination Program in Texas helps patients who frequently use the ER access follow-up care and connect with a primary care provider.
- Healthy Places for Healthy People in Monett – CoxHealth addressed social determinants of health in rural Monett, Missouri by revitalizing their downtown, creating sidewalks and bike paths, farmers markets, and engaging the Hispanic population.
- Local Foods, Local Places in Williamson – The Williamson Health & Wellness Center uses funds from Local Foods, Local Places to connect their community with local, fresh foods.
- Family Wellness Warriors Initiative – Using evidence-based engagement methods and a trauma-informed care approach, Southcentral Foundation’s Family Wellness Warriors Initiative has a goal of ending domestic violence with this generation.
- The Adolescent Pre-Diabetes Prevention Program – In rural Louisiana, the Adolescent Pre-Diabetes Prevention Program is helping to prevent the onset of prediabetes in high school students and staff. Through screenings, education, and follow-up, participants have improved their BMI, A1C levels, and weight.
RHIhub is hiring!
Please help spread the word that the RHIhub is looking for a dedicated and passionate person who wants to help rural communities across the country. Interested candidates can apply online by November 9, 2018 to join a team of Web Writers contributing to the Rural Monitor and Models and Innovations.