The RHIhub is hosting a webinar with the National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) on October 11 at 1:00 pm Central. Rural Insights on Adult and Youth Obesity, a National and Community-based Perspective is the second in this series of webinars exploring rural/urban differences in health issues. Featured speakers include:
- Kendra B. McDow, MD, MPH, EIS Officer, Division of Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys NCHS
- Craig Hales, MD, MPH, Medical Epidemiologist, Division of Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys NCHS
- Shelby Polk DNP, APRN, FNP-BC, Associate Professor and Chair of Nursing Delta State University
A webinar was recently hosted with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on Closing the Gap between Urban and Rural HPV Vaccination Rates. The recording and transcript are available online.
Two new stories are available in the Rural Monitor:
- Rural Health Opioid Program Funds Care Coordination Efforts for Recovery – Three communities use Federal Office of Rural Health Policy grant funds for opioid treatment and recovery care coordination in court, prisons, and the homes of new moms.
- Making the EHR Work: Rural Healthcare Organizations Use Data Extraction to Improve Patient Care – Electronic health record data can provide important insights allowing healthcare providers and organizations to better meet patient needs. Here’s a look at several rural facilities using their EHR data to impact patient care.
There are also several new Models and Innovations:
- Geezers, Gulpers, and Gardeners – To address loneliness and depression that can set in later in life for men, Chatham County Council on Aging of NC started the 3G Group to connect retired men in need of male friends and mutual support.
- San Luis Valley Public Health Partnership – In a unique effort to combine resources and staff, 6 counties joined in a public health cross-jurisdictional sharing arrangement in San Luis Valley, Colorado. Now, health departments can share expertise and develop regional projects to expand public health services.
- AGRIMEDIC – A hands-on farm injury training program for first responders in southeast Louisiana.
Finally, two Topic Guides have been updated:
- Health Information Technology in Rural Healthcare – Updated with new Frequently Asked Questions on the adoption of EHR systems by rural hospitals, HIT workforce issues in rural facilities, and more!
- Violence and Abuse in Rural America – Updated with a new section on adverse childhood experiences (ACEs), new links to CDC resources offering strategies for creating violence prevention programs, updated federal crime statistics, and an expanded section on violence and abuse among Native American populations.