Purpose of Rural Health Clinics (RHC): RHC legislation had two main purposes: to improve access to primary health care in rural, underserved communities; and, to promote a collaborative model of health care delivery using physicians, nurse practitioners and physician assistants. Federally certified RHCs are primary care practices which use a particular practice model and are reimbursed in a special way by CMS and state Medicaid programs.
CMS uses state survey and licensure agencies to review and recommend designation of private or nonprofit clinics meeting conditions for participation and certification as RHCs. RHCs are important safety net providers since the populations for whom they receive enhanced reimbursements is Medicaid and Medicare beneficiaries.
NOSORH’s Primary Care Committee works to plan activities and resources to build the capacity of SORH to provide technical assistance and work with RHCs. For more information about the committee, contact Tracie Ingram or Tammy Norville.
Rural Health Clinic Technical Assistance Educational Series
- Module 1: An Introduction to the Rural Health Clinic Program – 2019
- Module 2: Learning about the Technical Assistance Needs of Certified Rural Health Clinics – 2019
- Module 3: Helping SORH Make Decisions about Providing Technical Assistance and Support to Rural Health Clinics and Other Rural Primary Care Providers – 2020
- Module 4: Helping Rural Health Clinics Work Effectively with Other Key Rural Health Providers – 2010
- Module 5: Rural Health Clinic Performance Measurement and Quality Improvement – 2018
- Module 6: Incorporating Behavioral Health Services in the Rural Health Clinic – 2018
- HRSA Health Professional Shortage Area Designation
- Starting a Rural Health Clinic: A How-to Manual (Chapters 1 & 2)
- QPP Support for Small Practices
- NOSORH CA Rural Health Clinic Technical Assistance Project Report – April 2011
RHC Policies and Procedures
- Advisory Council Agenda
- Conducting the Annual Advisory Committee Meeting
- Policies and Procedures
- RHC Compliance and Regulations
- RHC Items Checklist
- Evaluation of Clinic Medical Records
- Chart Review Template
- Table of Contents
- Emergency Preparedness Toolkit for CHCs and Community Practice Sites
- The Compliance Team Emergency Preparedness Surveyor Guidelines
- Emergency Preparedness Training – Kate Hill
- CMS Emergency Preparedness Rule Table Requirements by Provider Type
- Emergency Preparedness Checklist
- RHC FQHC Emergency Operations Plan Template
- Engaging Rural Health Clinics in Value-Based Care
- Understanding How to Conduct Rural Health Clinic Practice Assessments
- How to Use Data for Decision Making in Rural Health Clinics
For a list of additional RHC resources, click here.